Today I'll talk about WeChat! Learn what WeChat is and what its 5 most-used features are.
New format: After tons of valuable feedback, I’m bringing you the new and (hopefully) improved Ashley Talks! Now they:
1) are shorter
2) focus on one topic
3) are all related to the China market, Chinese consumers and Chinese social media
4) are well-researched and prepared
Plus, I speak more slowly at a lower volume with fewer ‘Ah’s and try not to come across as arrogant 🙂 .
So, here we go!
WeChat, also known as Weixin, is an app offering free instant messaging and other services. It was first released by Tencent in 2011. By the end of September 2016, it had reached 768 million monthly active users with an annual growth of 35%. WeChat has steadily grown to be the most used app as well as one of the most popular social media platforms in China. It has become a phenomena in China but also covers over 200 countries and regions as well as 20 languages. Over half of WeChat's users spend more than 90 minutes on WeChat every day.
The key features of WeChat include:
- Instant messaging, including text, voice and video calls.
- Moments, which is similar to a user’s Facebook wall.
- Official accounts, verified accounts for businesses, public figures and organizations.
- WeChat Pay, peer-to-peer payments, utility bill payments, taxi hailing and more.
- Mini Programs
And let's stay in touch! You can connect with me through